1. The contest is open to everyone regardless of age or gender.
2. All contestants must register in qualifying rounds prior to spitting in competition. Registration deadline is 12:00 noon on day of competition. Any other special exemptions will be at the discretion of the tournament judge.
3. Qualifying rounds for all contestants will start at 10:00 am on the day of competition. Deadline for reporting to qualifying court is 12:00 noon on competition day. Winners of the previous five years of the Women's and Championship Divisions are considered pre-qualified for the current year's tournament, but must still register by 12:00 noon to compete in Championship rounds. (All times listed are EDT)
4. Contestants are limited to 2 rounds (3 cherries per round), if time permits, in attempts to qualify during the morning qualifying rounds. In this way more contestants may attempt to qualify for the afternoon competitions. There will be a seperate line for second-time spitters, with spit order and opportunity at the discretion of the qualifying round official.
5. Qualification for competition will be determined by the furthest distance spat during the qualification rounds as follows: The Championship Division will include the overall top ten spitters regardless of age or gender. Youth Divisions for ages 5 & Under, Youth Division 6-8, and Youth Division 9-12 will include the top 5 spitters (per division); and the Women's Division will include the top 10 spitters other than those qualified for the Championship Division. All qualifying contestants may only compete in one division. Special exemptions may be made by the Official Tournament Judge.
6. No foreign objects may be held in the mouth, which would give an advantage in spitting the pit. Denture racks will be provided for those wishing to remove their teeth.
7. The contestant's foul line will be determined on a handicap basis according to height, in order to remove any advantage to taller contestants. The handicap will consist of a two-inch (50.8 mm) withdrawal from the base foul line for each one-inch (25.4 mm) of contestant height over four feet (1.21 m). Any contestant four feet tall or less will stand at the base foul line. The decision of the tournament line judge is final.
8. Contestants must select three cherries from the regulation variety (Montmorency) supplied by the tournament committee. Cherries must be washed and chilled to 55-60°F (12.8 - 15.6 C) pit temperature.
9. Each cherry must be inserted in the mouth whole, all soluble solids eaten prior to spitting of the pit. No part of the cherry may be removed from the mouth after insertion.
10. Each contestant must spit his/her pit within 60 seconds of inserting each cherry in mouth. Time is kept by Official Timekeeper. Three spits are allowed. The longest of the three is recorded. If a pit is swallowed, that pit is forfeited.
11. Contestants' hands must remain below the shoulders (to avoid popping one's cheeks).
12. Contestants' feet may not touch or cross the foul line.
13. Contestants' must stand flat on the ground - or ground level platform - to spit. Spitters are prohibited from using any kind of mechanical or other device to improve body thrust or spit length (including hydraulic hoists, wall support, etc.).
14. The pit spitting range will be available for practice spitting from 10:00 am until 12:00 noon on the tournament day. Practicing spitters will be allowed three spits.